Saturday, April 12, 2014

Community Learning Class

Went to the 'Raised Bed Gardening' class today at COCC.  the guy giving it was SO enthused about gardening in Central Oregon that it was neat and catching..  BUT I can not use the rail road ties as they are coated with arsenic so they will last and not rot.  So won't be using those!!  Really don't want to have my food, especially raw food growing in arsenic...  poison, does not sound like a good idea, so even have to get the actual raised beds..   geez.... oh well
It is good to know there are ways around our short growing season, all the critters/pests and the abysmal soil.  Just work and coverings and amendments to the soil .....
I have been impressed with the classes, teachers and content of the classes offered.  Really like the yoga class, which continues into June.
Take Care All

7 comments:

  1. I did raised bed gardening for over 30 years. Once you get them set up it is great. But you ate right about using any treated wood. didn't someone challenge him on that?? Horrible idea. Use cedar or cypress or redwood or some other long lasting wood. Vegetable gardening is great. Food never tastes so good. LOVE yoga too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised by that recommendation too. Cedar would be expensive but would last awhile. The other option is to patronize your local farmer's market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the impression that he told you not to use railroad ties. Is that not so?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why would anyone use arsenic when growing food?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen composite material that looks like wood, and wonder if it would be toxin free for your raised beds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the guy said to NOT use the RR ties.. I said in the blog that I was not to use them. it was my original idea as some say to use them, had always thought I could/should, but, no-no NOT to use NOT a good idea...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started out with a book called "One Magic Square" fro Lolo Houbein. That spring my husband constructed two squares for me. It was so much fun that I now have four! Just enough for two people. Don't get discouraged! It is worth a try. I agree - I would not use railroad ties in a vegetable garden either!

    ReplyDelete