Sunday, December 17, 2023

gone


 Finn developed some sores on his hind end, which he kept licking at, so to the vet Tuesday.. they thought it some kind of allergies, but just got worse, he was miserable, had him in a big cone so he could not reach himself...  then he just started getting worse and worse, by late Friday he would not eat or drink and was very lethargic and not himself at all Saturday had a recital to go to and when i got back, he was terrible, just laid there and did nothing, hardly lift his head, so took him to emergency, and they had him on a bunch of meds and IV's then he got fluid in his abdomen and around his heart... and they said he had a perforation in his colon or intestines that was causing the build up of fluids, and that he was septic, never could figure out why the sores on his bottom and right shank.  He was very sick, they needed to do surgery.... already cost $1600 and surgery was going to be 5-10,000 more and only 50% chance he would survive.. that most of the septic abdomens did not survive... apparently he ate something that perforated something inside

Which makes me feel like a terrible mother. I should of watched more closely... something... wracking my brain and Robin and Brian's too , to figure out what he had gotten into... well.... final thing is we had to put him to sleep. I could not afford the expense, which sounds horrid, but. life is what it is.. and bottom line is, of course the money and did not want to put him through that... only to half n half maybe it would be ok...??? and he was so, so sick

All i can think of is all the cute little things that he did, and it is now so quiet and lonely here... and he so, so loved me... and i him

7 comments:

  1. Oh Loree this breaks my heart. But you did the right thing. We can't let them suffer. It's our responsibility to not let them suffer no matter how hard it us to say goodbye. And I totally understand the money issue. A 50% chance of a maybe surgery is just making them suffer more. I know you loved Finn and you were a wonderful mom. He loved you and had a wonderful life with you. I'm sending you hugs and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Loree. I don't think I have ever commented before. Read your posts quite often as
    I follow many of the bloggers you follow. Just want to say that I know exactly how you are feeling. Something similar happened with my beloved Yorkie Pasquale about five years ago. He was only six years old, and I loved him, and he me, so very much! I expected to have him awhile; Yorkies can live to be 15 or 16! But he came with a limp in his fromt leg. I really thought I had hurt him in our play. No. After several weeks suffering, and several thousand dollars, it was discovered that he had cancer. The leg could be removed, but the cancer would come back. The nerve pain was excruciating for him. I still can't think about him without crying. Of course we could not allow the suffering! Hugs and empathy from Texas. PS. I have two Yorkies now, but they will NEVER fill his place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heartbreaking. And yet, sometimes our pets get in things we cannot know or control. No fault here for anyone, not even poor little Finn who was just being his doggy self and sniffing and snooping. It is possible the sores were fistulas from the perforated bowel. Possible. Probable?
    Anyway. love you and sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for your loss, Loree. I have read your blog for over 15 years. My first comment. I recommend pet insurance. Purchased my , almost 9 month old Yorkie, on March 31, 2023. Reading the yorkie forum, I decided to get the insurance. My monthly payment is $67.00 per month. With a $100.00 deductible. Wife got her Cavapoo 3 weeks ago, she has a $250.00 deductible, cost less than $50.00 per month. We are using Trupanion. But do your own research. Again, very sorry on the loss of Finn. Merry Christmas Loree!

    ReplyDelete